5 Steps to Become a Fashion Designer
- Nov 19, 2020
In the 21st century, there is the pivotal importance of fashion and styling trends that come with an episodic approach occasionally, we constantly want to materialize different than others. In this regard, a fashion designer is responsible for creating the look that we’ve been dreaming of. A fashion designer begins with an idea that how an outfit should look, turns that idea into a design and evaluates how that design should turn into a realistic piece of clothing with the help of other workers.
Fashion designers hold a special place in our lives, their vision and talent not only plays a major role in our appearance, but they have also made supreme contributions to our fashion industry.
Steps to Become a Fashion Designer:
The path towards the becoming a successful tiresome yet exciting, and a person has to go through the following steps:
- Finalized A Degree Programme: To step into this competitive industry, a sense of art and industry is good but that doesn’t make the feat any easier, you need to have a degree in the fashion industry as well. The course will upgrade your design skills including sewing and sketching.
- Sharpen Your Skills: Successful fashion designers have a wide range of skills and knowledge including sketching, the ability to visualize the concepts in different dimensions, and all the mechanical skills that are used in the cutting and sewing of fabrics. So you should start developing these qualities at a young age, and always be ready to devote a few hours a day to specialize yourself in art and craft.
- Lend A Hand In An Internship: After getting a hold on skills in the field of art and craft, students need to execute their designs from an idea to the finished product; this initial practical learning can be achieved by participating in an internship program in one of the leading fashion design houses
- Build A Strong Portfolio: For intern designers, it is essential to make a portfolio of their work that they have done to date. It will help them to show their talent to future employers. The portfolio must illustrate their skills, and creative sensibilities. Portfolios allow demonstrating a range of skills, including drawing, designing, and sketching.
- Hold on to The New Trends: The trends of the fashion industry are like seasons; they never stay constant and change over time, so it is important for the designers to keep up the pace with ongoing fashion trends, in this regard they can read magazines and fashion industry journals. You can also keep a close eye on inspiring designs and trends, especially fashion designers who follow the latest trends. If you are in Australia, keep a close eye on The House of Balmain as they have some of the best and most contemporary designs.
- Follow Fashion Weeks & Parades: If there’s one thing you cannot miss out on if you are an aspiring fashion designer, that is a constant follow up of all the fashion weeks and parades as well as red carpets. Some of the trendsetter pieces originate at the red carpets and the fashion week runways which is why it is very important you stay connected.